A moissanite ring can shimmer with the vibrancy of a thousand stars, turning heads and dazzling rooms wherever you go. But what if your ring has lost its luster, specks of dirt, dust, and grime blotting out its brilliance? With the unique moissanite symbolism, you want to ensure you’re handling the gemstone with care.
Fortunately, we’ve got some good news: with some helpful tips on how to clean moissanite ring, you can return your jewelry to its gleaming glory.
Follow these four cleaning tips to make your moissanite engagement ring or jewelry sparkles like new—and your look as elegant as ever.
As with any other precious gemstone, moissanite jewelry care is essential to keeping them looking as new as the day you got them. If you wear your ring often, you may want to clean your moissanite ring at least once a month. An at-home cleaning method can help you keep your moissanite ring sparkling for regular wear.
Like natural diamonds, moissanite’s toughness makes it amenable to some surprisingly accessible cleaning methods. To properly clean your ring at home, you can detail your moissanite jewelry using a few simple ingredients you probably already have on hand.
Let’s explore each option in further detail.
Detail Your Ring with Soap and Water
When it comes to moissanite ring and jewelry care, it’s important to avoid harsh chemicals that can damage the moissanite stone. Besides, you won’t believe how easy it is to clean moissanite jewelry at home.
It might seem too good to be true, but two of the same ingredients you use to clean many other items can also help restore your moissanite ring. Yes, we’re talking about the tried-and-true combination of soap and water.
To clean your ring at home with soap and water, follow these easy steps:
- Fill a small bowl with lukewarm water. You don’t have to fill the bowl up to the top—just add enough water to cover the ring.
- Add a few drops of mild soap to the water. To be on the safe side, opt for a soap with natural ingredients and few chemicals.
- Submerge your ring in the water for ten minutes. This allows the water to loosen up stubborn bits of dirt and grime.
- Gently scrub your ring with a soft toothbrush or soft cloth. You may want to use a toothbrush designed for infants, as the bristles tend to be softer. As you scrub, pay special attention to the hard-to-reach spots.
- Rinse your ring with water and dry completely.
If you still find dirt and grime on your ring after scrubbing it with soap and water, it may be advantageous to use a commercial jewelry cleaning product.
That said, only select cleaning products that don’t contain harmful chemicals, such as ammonia and bleach. While these chemicals are effective at cleaning surfaces, they may diminish your ring’s luster.
Clean With Baking Soda and Vinegar
Cleaning moissanite jewelry can sometimes require more than soap and water. You can also use the bubbling power of baking soda and vinegar to dislodge stubborn dirt and grime.
To clean your moissanite this way, follow these steps:
- Add two tablespoons of baking soda to a small bowl.
- Pour a half cup of white wine vinegar into the bowl. When the vinegar hits the baking soda, a chemical reaction will occur, causing the mixture to bubble.
- Make sure the baking soda is completely dissolved by whisking the mixture with a fork.
- Soak your moissanite ring in the mixture for two hours. Do not scrub your ring while in the mixture, as the baking soda can scratch your gem or its setting.
- Rinse your ring with cold water and allow it to air dry in a safe place.
Shine Your Ring With Ketchup
It turns out your favorite condiment doesn’t only make fries taste better. Ketchup can actually help clean your moissanite ring.
That’s because the acidity in tomatoes and vinegar helps eat away at dogged buildup.
To clean with ketchup, simply follow these steps:
- Add a tablespoon or two of the condiment to a small bowl.
- Soak the ring in the ketchup until it’s completely covered.
- Finally, scrub the ring with a soft toothbrush and rinse it under cold water.